[复制链接]
发表于 2021-9-7 14:49:57 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Teaching Videos for Sutras and Mantras

Eng Audiovisual Book [Journey to Heaven & Hell]

Eng Audiovisual Book [Buddhisum in Plain Terms]

English Materials Download

【More English Material】 

Inspirational Stories 

Guan Yin Citta Accords with Orthodox Buddhist Teachings: Buddhism from the View of a Scientific Researcher

Gratitude to Guan Yin Bodhisattva 

Gratitude to Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Dharma Protectors

Gratitude to Master Lu

Good day Buddhist friends and fellow practitioners.

As a science researcher, I would like to share my feelings and realisation in the course of practising Buddhism. If there is anything inappropriate in my sharing, I seek forgiveness from Guan Yin Bodhisattva and Dharma Protectors.

Currently, I work as a senior researcher with the prestigious Technological University of Denmark, leading some PHD and post-PHD scientific research.

I used to be an atheist with no religious belief as I used to believe that only science could provide a comprehensive answer to this world and even change the world. Undeniably, scientific and technological advancement has brought tremendous changes to the world. But similarly, it is an undeniable fact that science and technology including modern medicine is helpless in the aspect of changing the destiny of mankind. There are many among my colleagues and also people in the same profession who are subject to troubles related to family, marriage and health. 

Even though they may be professors of prestigious institutions of higher learning with numerous honours, their worries are no less than commoners. Even the sole winner of Noble Prize (Scientific research)  succumbed to Alzheimer’s Disease, commonly known as dementia. The fruition of his research has brought so much convenience to the lives of billions of people, but it was a real pity he could not remember the fruition of his research when he was receiving the award. It is saddening that he was unable to change his own fate. 

All these made me ponder: How can we ever take control of our own destiny and free ourselves from the troubles of disease, death and suffering?

Driven by the contemplation about life, coupled with the fruition of my affinity with Buddhism, I was fortunate enough to attend Master Lu’s Public Talk held in Denmark in 2011 and have my number drawn for totem reading. Master Lu accurately pointed out the problems pertaining to my physical health. At the same time, he mentioned that I didn’t get the appreciation that I deserved for my calibre because I wasn’t endowed with blessings, adding that I needed to do more good and meritorious deeds.

However, it was a shame that I didn’t take his words seriously. I started reciting scriptures but I was not that diligent. I didn’t actually believe it fully. As a research scientist, I was proud and egoistic, so I had never thought of becoming a disciple of Master Lu.

What Master Lu said was true, I was very dedicated to my work but I didn’t receive due recognition and appreciation. I often felt that I was not given a chance to exercise my expertise. 

Then, the turning point came after I became a disciple of Master Lu. Besides allocating several hours daily for reciting scriptures and helping to introduce Buddhism to others, I took time off to assist in Master’s Dharma convention around the world. Though I spent relatively less time in my work, I saw my scientific research taking wing. In succession, I won two important scientific awards presented by European Union and Denmark. In addition, I broke two world records in the field of high level data transmission. As a Chinese, it was quite unusual in the university where I work.

Through my personal experience, I’ve come to realise that practising Buddhism is one effective way to change our destiny. We may be equipped with expertise, but we may encounter obstructions to our development due to our negative karma. Then, I had a deeper understanding of the connection between talent and merits. Talent is likened to a ship while merit is like water. We may have talent but if we lack merit, it’s like a big vessel stuck in shallow water. If the water is deep enough, meaning that we have accumulated sufficient merits and virtues, only then the vessel will be able to set sail in the vast ocean. To accumulate merits and virtues, we have to do good and perform recitation, life liberations and making vows on a regular basis. 

During my years of practising Buddhism, there are friends and relatives who don’t understand why a scientific researcher of a renowned university would become a pious Buddhist. 

Here, I would like to quote what the former president of the University of Science and Technology of China, Prof. Zhu Qing Shi who said, ” when a scientist made an arduous climb to the summit of a mountain, a Buddhist master is already waiting there for a long time.” 

The truth is, in 500 BC, the Buddha said there were 84,000 types of organisms in water. It was not until 2000 years later in the 17th century that Dutch biologist Antonie Philips Van Leeuwenhoek discovered the existence of microbes using the microscope that he invented. His discovery confirmed what the Buddha had said. 

Furthermore, the Buddha described the place where we live as an oval-shaped fruit, Amalaki. In the 16th century, Portuguese explorer Magellan who made a circumnavigation of the globe, confirmed that the globe is round indeed. It can be said that many Buddhist viewpoints are way ahead of science.

When I was presented the outstanding young scholar award by the Villum Foundation of Denmark, Danish Physicist Prof Jens was awarded the Annual Scientific Achievement Award. Prof Jens has made outstanding contributions in the research of cosmology, including the research of dark matter. Firstly, let’s find out what matter is. All the things that we can see in the universe, like stars, the sun, the moon, mountains, rivers, land and all the animals, plants and so on are called matters. But research findings show that matters make up less than 5% of the universe. The remaining 90% of the cosmo which we can see are classified as dark matter or dark energy. This is in collaboration with the Buddhist theory of the 6 realms of existence, which include unseen beings such as celestial beings, spirits and devas. As what great scientist Einstein has said, “If there is a religion which can provide answers to scientific questions, that must be Buddhism”. 

In the field of scientific research, we usually make a hypothesis before we verify it through experiments. As an example, many of you must have heard about the gravitational wave detection experiment more than 100 years ago. Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational wave but it was not until 2016 that the American LIGO Team detected its existence. The scientist leading this research was thus presented with the Nobel Prize in Physics as a recognition to his research.

It can be said that this approach of hypothesis followed by verification through experiment is similar to Buddhist practice. In learning Buddhist doctrines, we need to have faith as the first step. Having understood Buddhist doctrines, the next crucial step is to put the essence of Buddhism into practice before we can gain realisation and enlightenment. 

From this viewpoint, Guan Yin Citta is a Buddhist Practice embracing the Buddha’s teaching of right doctrines, right thought, right faith and right behaviour. On one hand, Master Lu helps the people to understand the Buddha’s teaching by explaining the profound doctrines in the simplest terms possible. On the other hand, he teaches his followers to put the Buddha’s teaching into action by performing recitations of scriptures, life liberations and making vows. Instead of focusing on theories and formalism, he is teaching us to break free from delusion to gain enlightenment, liberate ourselves from suffering to gain happiness. 

It can be said that the emergence of Guan Yin Citta has led not only a large member of young people but also people of high calibre and professionals into the door of Buddhism. Furthermore, we have dispelled people’s misunderstanding about Buddhism. Buddhism is not about offering incense and prayers only. Buddhism is not superstition but a form of education. It educates us to emulate the infinite compassion and wisdom of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. To believe in Buddhism is to believe in the law of cause and effect. This belief would prompt us to do all good and refrain from doing evil. Guan Yin Citta is applying a practical and viable approach to lead sentient beings into Buddhism first. After which, we will guide them to lead life to the fullest, improve their lives and make an in-depth study of the true meaning of Buddhism. As what Master Lu has said, Guan Yin Citta wants everyone to be good, every family to be good, every country and every society to be good. This is the objective of Guan Yin Citta Dharma Door.

On the other hand, practising Buddhism and spiritual cultivation at this juncture is the best remedy corresponding to the development of our times. With the rapid progress in materialism, our credibility and morality is on the decline. By practising the cultivation of Buddhism, we are encouraging people to practise compassion, generosity and kindness, at the same time eradicate greed, hatred and arrogance. This approach not only helps us to have a better life, but is also conducive to building social harmony. In this aspect, it can be said that Guan Yin Citta practice is in accordance with orthodox Buddhist teachings and compatible with the times. It provides the best approach ever, which is hard to come by. Today, I hope everyone here would cherish this opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Guan Yin Bodhisattva and Master Lu in practising Buddhism, moral and spiritual cultivation.

Once again, my gratitude to Guan Yin Bodhisattva.

Gratitude to Buddhas and Dharma Protectors.

Gratitude to Master Lu.

Thank you.

文章推荐

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|慈爱心灵

GMT+8, 2024-9-20 01:41 , Processed in 0.090704 second(s), 19 queries .